Monday, May 9, 2011

Full time?

Last week I filled in for the 5th grade teacher, so I ended up working all week. Leaving Henry was hard, and I definitely missed my little guy, but teaching one class for a whole day was actually fun. Granted, we have a particularly well behaved 5th grade, but for the most part, it was easier than teaching art. No clean up is a big plus! I even taught math! Me? Who knew? I guess it's good to know I can still factor down to prime numbers! Regular academics are also much quieter than art. I did like it, but don't think I would trade. It's kinda nice being most kids favorite subject! Plus, I think they tell the art teacher more. While making mother's day cards this week, I asked them to write nice things about their mothers. His response was "my mom is only nice when we have company." I told him not to write that.

Coming off my high of fun teaching week, I just had another very honest kindergartner, who's mom works in the office, tell me "my mommy said art is cancelled next year, don't you go to the meetings?". Well, I didn't go to THAT meeting. It was hard for me to contain my tears, but I did manage to make it until the kids left. I'm still hoping they can find the budget to keep me, but have to admit that comment kinda sucked the wind out of me. I guess as much as I know arts in school are the first thing to be cut, today is the first day I really accepted that my job is in jeopardy. I don't think anything is set in stone yet. Come on enrollment! I just sent the soon to be principle some promotional material, hopefully it will be good for recruitment. Anyone in the La Mirada area looking for an excellent elementary/Jr high?

No comments:

Post a Comment